The Regional Durable Solutions Secretariat (ReDSS) has commissioned Impact Initiative to develop and pilot a people-centered survey methodology to understand intentions and aspirations vis-à-vis durable solutions, as well as inter-community dynamics and relations, in displacement-affected communities. This will be used annually as a longitudinal survey in Baidoa, Kismayo, Dollow and Mogadishu. Survey data will help to inform the design and adaptation of solutions-oriented policies and programming.
The objectives of the aspirations survey are to better understand:
- the aspirations, intentions and push and pull factors of displacement affected communities
- the underlying issues that influence processes of displacement, return and (re)integration
- the factors that shape people’s decisions to move and the impact on the wider communities
Based on the survey findings, workshops will be conducted bringing policy makers and practitioners together to inform collective analysis/ common understanding of the different factors that shape displacement, return and (re)integration in Somalia to adapt and improve durable solutions programing:
- What are profiles, aspirations, intentions and push and pull factors of host, returnees and IDP populations?
- What are the underlying issues that influence processes of displacement, return and (re)integration?
- What factors shape people’s decisions concerning displacement, return and (re)integration in these 4 locations?
- What is the impact of displacement, return and (re)integration on the wider community?
- Priorities and recommendations would also be used to inform and contribute to National Development Plan, draft National Policy on Internal Displacement, local development and urbanization/space planning documents and other appropriate policies.
The information coming from the survey will be reviewed together with stakeholders to inform a common understanding and develop joint analysis and recommendations to adapt programs. The aspirations survey is not intended to monitor the 28 IASC/ReDSS solutions framework indicators. This is done through the solutions analysis using secondary data available. The survey will not be able to inform IDP figures in the locations as only selected displacement affected communities will be part of the exercise.
Click here for the one pager, click here a comparative analysis and summary presentations of the findings from Kismayo, Baidoa and Mogadishu. For more information, kindly contact Rufus Karanja email@example.com.